Sunday, November 7, 2010

50 Things About Me You Probably Don't Need To Know...

I woke up this morning and it was freezing out, so as usual went to pour myself a cup of hot coffee to get myself moving except there was none. Frustrated and not even remotely excited about a run to the grocery store with my wrinkled jammies on and cookie crumbs stuck to the front of my shirt I make a mental list of a few things we need just in case....so this gets me thinking about lists in general. Lists are pretty helpful at work, the infamous grocery list (see above), don't forget the spelling lists in grade school so..why not a blog list about myself? Can't hurt..probably won't help...may make you laugh or see a little bit of yourself? I hope so! Well, here we go...
1. My hair color is naturally brown.

2. It is now whatever "natural color" is on the box on the shelf at Walmart.

3. I am a closet lover of Barry Manilow's music... (Remember Mandy?)

4. And, of course David Cassidy (I think I love you), Elton John and Neil Young (Harvest Moon)

5. I try to read as many books as I can.

6. I try to exercise, if you call racing through the grocery store, fighting through a herd of women at a JC Penney sale and running the sweeper on three household floors (including steps) exercise.

7. My first job was as a receptionist in a beauty shop.

8. I really need to spend more time in the beauty shop.

9. I once ran over a goose driving downtown near the ponds. Although I cried, I didn't report it...and years later I'm told it is a punishable crime...so I cried again and still don't think I've recovered.

10. My best friend dated my first boyfriend in high school.

11. We're still best friends, but neither of us is still dating him.

12. I annoy my friends with advice on medical issues/health, relationships, and the like. It helps to always have a listening ear and I get a lot of blog topic ideas.

13. A therapist would probably love me.

14. My father and step father died within two months of each other in 2005.

15. I will never completely recover nor will my life ever be the same. I am still coming to terms with this while everyone else has moved on.

16. I lost a piece of myself that year, forgot how to fall asleep without the television on because the feeling of being alone was as palpable as a pulse.

17. A therapist would probably love me.

18. Five years later and I am starting to heal. Healing feels good.

19. I love to take pictures.

20. I am horrible at taking pictures.

21. I love to crochet and sew. I figure I'm an old grannie at heart and yet I neither crochet or sew well. Case in point, my oldest took his varisty football jersey to the local cleaners who had a seamstress he paid to sew his nameplate on....lest I sew it crooked.

22. I am lucky enough to have a few really good friends.

23. One of them lives far away.

24. I miss her.

25. I love Victoria's Secret.

26. I only buy the Victoria's Secret perfume or wait to get it at Christmas or birthday as a gift.

27. I don't do justice to the "lingerie" as pictured in the catalog, even though after having four kids I finally can vouch for having boobs now.

28. My boobs sag and droop southward since I have had four kids. Thankful for the "push-ups" and I am not talking about the ice cream.

29. I love chocolate and wine.

30. Together or separate.

31. I once got so many parking tickets from the local university I was banned from parking on campus. Might have helped had I paid them.

32. I am a crybaby...cry on cue at movies, a good book, my daughter's essays, Mother's Day Cards, Father's Day Cards, birthday cards, weddings, funerals...well you get the idea.

33. I am not smarter than a 5th grader.. I've seen the show and I apparently am dumber every day.

34. We have over 300 channels on cable television. Can't get Internet unless you buy the "package".

35. I don't like television except for the occasional good movie...I'd rather read a book or sit outside in the sun and take a nap.

36. I can bake a really mean apple pie, can my own jelly, pickles, salsa, applesauce.

37. This usually indicates I have too much time on my hands.

38. My children are my happiness.

39. I would love to go to Italy.

40. I decided that after I saw Julia Roberts in the movie Eat, Pray, Love.

41. I can cook a turkey.

42. Would rather go to mom's and eat her turkey - it's always better when someone else cooks for you..not talking about Little Ceasars.

43. I do love to grow things...kids, flowers, shrubbery.

44. The kids are growing okay, flowers and shrubbery never made it.

45. We have three cats and a new puppy which we did not need since we are trying to sell our house; however, it was important to my daughter so I caved in.

46. Need my carpets cleaned BADLY (see 45).

47. I gave my oldest child the middle name "Patrick". He was born on St. Patrick's day and after 72 hours of grueling labor, a kind anesthesiologist put me out of my misery with this wonderful invention called an EPIDURAL....

48. I miss my father's voice every day.

49. Learning to live with loss is a part of my journey and has had a part in making me who I am today....Healing is a good thing and writing a blog has proven very therapeutic at times as well as a bit humorous.

50. A therapist would probably love me!


I wasn't sure if I had 50-things...probably could have kept going. The Internet is a vast sea of blogs and some are so well written and thought out they make me sit up and take stock. HOW do they share their experiences and write them with such clarity? I think you have to start within and build off of your own experiences....even a silly list like this one builds on the fact that I, like you, am an original and each of us as a story to tell....tell me yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment